[OSGeo-Discuss] Proprietary GIS on our OSGeo website

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Sep 21 12:32:40 PDT 2017

I just got off the phone with a client that is interested in migrating
to open source tools. They problem is they don't know where to start.
They know what proprietary tools they are using, they know what features
they are using, they know about OSGeo, but rapidly get lost in all the
projects and what they do and how they might be used to replace what
they have.

They need :
* a simple mapping from proprietary to FOSS tools, so they can start
learn more about which tools to investigate.
* simple recipes and direction to get them started, ie: lower the cost
of entrance.
* list of resources, like mailing lists, where to download, what
tutorials and/books are available or experts in the various tools they
are interested.

We need to make this easy for people that are not familiar with FOSS to
easily find their way into our community. They want to educate
themselves a little before engaging the community.

I often act as a compass and help guide them to get started, but I only
know part of the pie.

So migration guides would be good. Some form of mapping products to
projects would be very useful.

I like the format of Choose Open Source and I think it covers a lot of
these needs.

-Steve