[OSGeo-Discuss] “Open geo data and open tools to achieve food security and sustainable agriculture for SDG 2030” - Your contributions and inputs welcome

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Sat Sep 30 03:14:32 PDT 2017

Dear colleague,

This is a request for help to send me any information on AgriGIS  research and examples  that you are doing so I can share the ideas with GEO colleagues for expanding our research for the future. I will be leading the GODAN ThinkTank on “Open geo data and open tools to achieve food security and sustainable agriculture for SDG 2030”  at  the Group on Earth Observations (GEO) meetings  (October 23-27 2017) [1] in Washington D.C .

We will use this excellent opportunity to build upon the ideas from GODAN AgriGIS ThinkTank in Nairobi 2016 [2] and aim to discuss ideas on how we can synergise efforts for  Open geo data and open tools to achieve food security and sustainable agriculture for SDG 2030. We will also present some of key outputs from the GODAN Local Farming Challenge 2017 [3], Outputs from GODAN Ministerial Conference 2017 [4] to give the background work till now.

The objective of the ThinkTank  is to provide a forum for stakeholders in government, private organisations, academia and NGOs  to share knowledge and propose strategies on improving the use of  open data, open educational resources , open tools etc with the aim to expand Capacity Building and Training in AgriGIS to support Global Food Security. I will be also sharing  AgriGIS research that we have done [5]  . I am aware there might be other AgriGIS Food Security research done by colleagues that might be relevant, so please do let me know any relevant research that I can present for this.  Please send me your research publication details  by 10th Oct 2017. Thanks.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1] https://www.earthobservations.org/
[2] http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/2016/11/summary-of-agrigis-thinktank-and-workshop-2016-nairobi-kenya/