[OSGeo-Discuss] Diversity in FOSS4G

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 15:25:52 PDT 2018

Hey Mark, good on you for voicing publicly. Our ability to discuss openly
is a strength of our community, and one we are learning to use responsibly.
I saw your tweet yesterday, but find the discussion list more useful for
internal discussion such as this.

It is a hard balance between requesting or encouraging changes we want to
see vs expressing dissapointment in the activities of others. This is
especially important in a volunteer organization such as ours where
disappointment however kindly expressed can hit really moral hard
(especially as volunteers are pulling an event together).

I have been on both sides of this balance and it is never comfortable, as
you express in your struggle above. Ideally, I seek to offer my time if I
am in position to be of assistance and if the assistance is welcome.  If
not in a position to help I seek to learn or look for an opportunity for
feedback.

I learned a lot as your foss4g event planning has unfolded and your
challenges, priorities and direction became clear.

It is my hope that we will learn what challenges the foss4g-asia event is
facing and what we as an organization can do to assist.

If you have been following the board meetings the Sri Lanka
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Sri_Lanka> chapter is just being officially
recognized (and the membership shows some diversity). OSGeo has also set
aside funding for our president to attend the foss4g-asia event.
--
Jody Garnett