[OSGeo-Discuss] Diversity in FOSS4G

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Aug 13 04:21:11 PDT 2018

Thank you for sharing these personal stories Vicky.

There are so many different cultural factors at our FOSS4G events around
the world.

How can we make sure that FOSS4G events are both diverse and inclusive?

I think the first step is always to try contacting the FOSS4G local
committee directly.  And if you are concerned of a FOSS4G event but
don't know who to contact, just send me a quick email and I'll forward
you the direct contact.  In the case of FOSS4G-Asia, I would forward you
to Nimalika from OSGeo-Sri Lanka, who has been so kind to listen and
take the advice back to her local organizing committee, where they can
discuss and make the necessary changes.

I also feel that old-school talking directly is still very important,
and look forward to speaking directly of these issues with leaders
Malena, María and others in Dar es Salaam.  This is why I hop on a plane
for a 40 hour trip, to work together on these issues so we can all
continue to create great FOSS4G events of all sizes.

-jeff