[OSGeo-Discuss] Diversity in FOSS4G

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 05:38:46 PDT 2018

Hi all

I appreciate this topic arising. I appreciate the efforts of the FOSS4G Dar
committee; and the reasons for their decisions. I also appreciate that the
FOSS4G Asia LOC have a different operating environment and look forward to
hearing about their drivers. And I appreciate discussion about various
factors affecting diversity and audiences. From FOSS4G Oceania experience
it’s not an easy discussion to get right - I hope we all make the best
effort we can.

I also want to avoid papering over a substantially disheartening part of
this particular e-mail conversation.

Earlier in this discussion thread a research paper was rolled out as
evidence that women choose to do STEM less; with the argument following
that aiming for levels of attendance and speakership at FOSS4G conferences
which represent the population is over-reach; and then a few people jumping
on the sciencing wagon.

So I read the paper. …and I'm puzzled that in 2018, such a work would be
latched onto and held up as truth without question. I would certainly not
try to use it as a platform to base a solid argument on.

What was more disappointing is that this work was repeatedly held up as
canon and defended, as a counter to Maria’s patient attempts to inject some
living experience into discussion about a topic on which she has invested
vast time and energy (and whose initial assessment of the work was actually
completely correct)!

A great first step to increase diversity and inclusion would be to avoid
this type of top down lecturing and engage with experience - and then
listen. To stories like Vicky’s. To the experience of Maria and Maria; to
the committee from FOSS4G Asia who have made choices for reasons we don’t
know; and from FOSS4G in Dar, who made choices for very clear reasons
because they were able to; and aimed to have a specific impact (which I
hope, has worked).

Back to lurking now..

Adam

--