[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS for Application Schema development

Ben Caradoc-Davies ben at transient.nz
Fri Aug 17 17:29:54 PDT 2018

My recollection is that FullMoon is a tool for converting XMI models
into XSD schemas. If I recall correctly, the users I worked with all
used Sparx Enterprise Architect to generate XMI models.

The GeoSciML maintainers publish Enterprise Architect UML .eap files:
http://www.geosciml.org/

I have dabbled with several open source UML editors with XMI support but
do not like any of them enough to mention their names, let alone
recommend them.

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 18/08/18 11:52, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> A number of years back there was an Australian government sponsored
> development of developing application schemas and open source tools.
> At the time I was involved in it, the tools were functional and
> powerful, but still needed polish and were hard to get going.
>
> Here are some details to the project:
> https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/wiki/Siss/FullMoon
>
> Hopefully some of the people involved in the project can add more
> details. (Hello Rob Atkinson?)
>

> On 17/8/18 6:06 pm, Jorge S Mendes de Jesus wrote:
>>
>> Hi to all
>>
>> I am going to reply  to this thread with a big disclaimer: Never
>> tested or serious read the docs
>>
>> With this tool:
>>
>> https://shapechange.net/
>>
>> If you have a UML model in XMI format you could probably use it to
>> generate a Application Schema
>>

>> So far I havent found serious documentation***(for dummies**) *on how
>> to do an application schema aside from some docs from OGC of already
>> "standards" using application schema
>> (https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=31065)
>>

>> Also, there is an ISO that could contain interesting information
>>
>> ISO 19109:2015 - Geographic information -- Rules for application schema
>>
>> But again pay wall to have access to information that IMHO should be
>> open source
>>
>> Jorge
>>
>> On 17-08-18 09:55, 최규성 wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I agree with Bart's understanding in the attached reply mail.
>>>
>>> While the original subject raised by Bart has been also of my great
>>> interest, this seems to get less attention from the Discussion List
>>> members. I myself have no good idea other than Enterprise Architect
>>> by Sparx Systems. Is there anybody who can answer more about Bart's
>>> questions;
>>> - Is there any FOSS alternative?
>>> - What would be in general the FOSS way of developing an application
>>> schema?
>>>
>>> Hoping to get feedbacks... Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Kyu-sung Choi
>>> EZMapping, Seoul, Korea (M. +82-10-5414-4374)

Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben at transient.nz>
Director
Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>
New Zealand