[OSGeo-Discuss] Changes (and proposed changes) regarding the Code of Conduct

Ben Caradoc-Davies ben at transient.nz
Sun Dec 9 16:09:05 PST 2018

María,

thank you for taking the lead on this important issue. While in my view,
the majority of OSGeo participants act with consideration and in good
faith, a single malicious act is one too many. We get the behaviour we
tolerate, and a strong code of conduct helps us prevent behaviour that
we do not want. In addition to a code of conduct, we also need a
complaint procedure to enforce it.

Did we ever hear back from any other foundations about how they handle
code of conduct enforcement?

Note that I am not at this time available for any OSGeo roles, but I
have subscribed to the coc-discuss list.

Here are some of my opinions. In them, I will use words like "must"
solely because I think that these words should be used in the OSGeo
procedure, but please remember that these are just my opinions and I do
not claim to be right or an authority on these matters. I am also not a
lawyer. Whenever I refer to complaints, I mean CoC complaints not
general complaints:

- Everyone who is expected to handle a complaint must first be trained
in the complaint procedure and the OSGeo code of conduct, have access to
psychological and legal support, and be covered by OSGeo legal liability
insurance. The latter likely includes all OSGeo officers.

- Natural justice must apply to the complaint procedure. At some point,
the respondent will receive the complaint, including the identity of the
complainant and alleged witnesses. This must be disclosed to the
complainant before they submit their complaint. We cannot act on
anonymous complaints nor consider hearsay.

- Code of Conduct enforcement is a civil matter and the standard of
proof is balance of probability.

- Do we ask complainants what redress they seek? This could range from a
private or public apology from the respondent, private or public censure
of the respondent by the conduct committee, or expulsion from OSGeo.

- Complaints must be handled in confidence, except where the complainant
makes them public. Breaches of confidence must be considered a CoC
violation. Nothing in the procedure precludes the respondent from
responding in public to a public complaint, nor shall either party be
considered to have breached confidence if they seek redress through a
legal authority or the courts.

- María, you have already stated the need to have identified complaint
handlers so that a complainant knows who will receive their complaint,
and I agree. I think that, on receipt of a formal complaint, any
complaint handler or other OSGeo member must forward the complaint to
all complaint handlers who are not a party to the complaint (where
parties include witnesses). Even with a web site form, expect half of
complaints, especially the most serious ones, to be delivered to trusted
individuals. The list of complaint handlers and the policy on who will
receive a complaint must be prominent on the complaint submission form
and information pages.

- So, who is going to bell the cat? Consider outsourcing complaint
handling to an independent external investigation, mediation, and/or
arbitration service would remove any appearance of conflict of interest
or bias, reduce harm to OSGeo complaint handlers, and protect OSGeo from
legal liability.

- We need a better term for complaint handler. "Conduct officer"? This
would clarify their role and reduce inappropriate submission of general
complaints. We need more than one. Conduct officers in their role of
enforcing the code of conduct are acting on behalf of OSGeo and not as
individuals.

- Any complaint that may constitute a criminal offence must in the first
instance be reported to authorities with jurisdiction unless the
complainant is unwilling to do so. Local legal advice will likely be
required. This may cover online activities: for example, the New Zealand
Harmful Digital Communications Act 2015
<http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/2015/0063/latest/DLM5711810.html>
<https://www.consumerprotection.govt.nz/general-help/consumer-laws/online-safety-laws-and-rules/>
prohibits online bullying and harassment and has resulted in successful
prosecutions by NZ Police. Criminal complaints will take priority over
but not supersede OSGeo CoC investigations, which can run concurrently;
our procedure will need rules on how to handle this situation and
protect the rights of both the complainant and the respondent. We should
never ever think that we can handle internally something that should in
the first instance be a police matter.

Thanks again, María. In my view, CoC enforcement is the dirtiest job in
the open source community, and I commend you for your efforts.

Happy Human Rights Day! Celebrating the 70th anniversary of the adoption
of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on 10 December 1948:
<https://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/>

Kind regards,
Ben.

Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben at transient.nz>