[OSGeo-Discuss] Changes (and proposed changes) regarding the Code of Conduct

Arnulf Christl (aka Seven) seven at arnulf.us
Tue Dec 11 02:10:50 PST 2018

Adding one more comment: Please, I implore you: Do not remove the
assumption of good faith from OSGeo's principles!

"Assumption of good faith" and "Quietening down somebody" are totally
different things. In her blog on thebias.com Annalee somewhat hastily
mixes the two up when she says:

"The harm is that telling people to “assume good intent” is a sign that
if they come to you with a concern, you will minimize their feelings,
police their reactions, and question their perceptions."

OSGeo and any open and welcoming community cannot exist without
assumption of good faith. The opposite to assuming good faith is perfect
paranoia which is only destructive. It is also quite impossible to set
up rules to regulate everything without suffocating. So let us talk and
interact as best we can from all our gender, cultural and individual
background. If it starts to get out of hand - and this will happen again
- look at it closely, have concerned people on a functioning CoC and
repair the damage.

Unfortunately I have not followed the issue which Sara Safawi indicated
as her reason to want to leave OSGeo closely enough to be able to
understand all the intricacies. But it actually did not feel good, even
from a distance. Maybe a functioning CoC could have helped? People on a
CoC have to take every complaint serious (reverse citing Annalee): Do
not "minimize their feelings, police their reactions, and question their
perceptions".

And lastly, sometimes it is also time to let things go. If Sara has no
intention of picking this up again we may want to let it rest.

Thanks,

Seven

http://arnulf.us
drwxrw-r--