[OSGeo-Discuss] Changes (and proposed changes) regarding the Code of Conduct

Ben Caradoc-Davies ben at transient.nz
Wed Dec 12 14:30:51 PST 2018

On 12/12/2018 23:08, Jonathan Moules wrote:
> Personally I'm not a fan of the Covenant; it has big subjective
> loopholes and components that be used to retroactively change the rules.

My biggest problem with the Covenant is that it places responsibility
for enforcement on project maintainers who did not realise that they
might have to do this, may not have the skills, resources, or support
required, and may be exposed to legal liability. If we adopt the
Covenant, I think that enforcement should led by OSGeo officers who are
trained, supported, and insured.

The Covenant is not AFAIK a covenant in the legal sense. If we use it,
we can withdraw if it is changed in a way we do not like. It is CC BY so
we can use it as the basis for a customised CoC, which we would then
have to maintain.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben at transient.nz>