[OSGeo-Discuss] Code of Conduct... followup to avoid lobbies

MarĂ­a Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 03:15:13 PST 2018

Hi,

I agree with Luigi in that we should be aware of this and have common
rules. I think this falls into the "common sense" that is not so common
once you start mixing cultures. I have also experienced this "I prefer to
have someone not from my company do this" to make sure everything is clear
and transparent while I saw other people not waiting for that. And, at the
same time, I have nominated a coworker not because he's in my company but
because I knew he deserved it.

So... where to draw the line? More complex rules? Trust an abstract "common
sense" that will differ depending on the individual?

Also, if there is no "rule" or "recommendation" about what to do about
lobbies... why would a company think it is bad to lobby inside OSGeo and
have members participating? Why would anyone think it is bad to have their
private interests pushing? I mean, for me it is clear but I understand not
everyone understands open software the same way. If you go to more
capitalist liberal cultures, you may found people thinking that the obvious
way to work is to have companies investing directly on their interests
through OSGeo, so pushing to have more power inside OSGeo to recover that
investment makes sense to them. It is another way of understanding open
software. A way I don't agree with, but who am I to say it is not valid...
unless OSGeo explicitly says so?