[OSGeo-Discuss] Mac & QGIS: low resolution

Andy Anderson aanderson at amherst.edu
Sat Feb 10 10:01:12 PST 2018

My MacBook Pro is 2880 x 1800, but I run it at 3/4 of that, 2160 x 1350, which is not much higher than your max. I’m running QGIS 2.18.15.

But I see what you mean about the “open in low resolution” option being checked, I have that, too. I also see what you mean about the blockiness of the text — but it is being antialiased and I don’t really notice it if I don’t look too closely. The low-resolution mode also effects the icons, I see.

Best I can suggest is to go into QGIS > Preferences… and modify the display with these options:

General > Application > Font > Helvetica
General > Application > Font > Size > 14
Rendering > Rendering quality > Make lines appear less jagged at the expense of some performance

This issue is under discussion with respect to QGIS version 3 development:

https://github.com/qgis/homebrew-qgisdev/issues/5

In older versions it seems to be a limitation that comes with Qt version 4.

— Andy