[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo4W missing in new website

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 17:51:07 PST 2018

> forwarding from the OSGeo4W ML
> [https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/osgeo4w-dev/2018-January/003489.html]
>
> -------------------
> > https://www.osgeo.org/projects/osgeo4w/
>
> I get "sorry that page doesn't exist", and I am logged in. I don't see it
> under "All Projects" or "Community Projects" either.

The page is marked 'private', so perhaps only the author (and
administrators?) can see it until it is published.

More generally: It's extremely heartening to see a new Osgeo website on a
> mainstream platform and looking current and relevant. As for Osgeo4W. It's
> used by many thousands of people but maintained by less than a handful,
> with herculean effort. I know this has been stated already in this thread,
> but I wish to underline that fact!  *All hail Jurgen, Markus, and Martin
> *for
> their sustained effort to keep Osgeo4w ticking these last few years.

Agreed

*>>>insert vaguely formulated thoughts about how someone else (osgeo,
> vienna, anonymous hero, ...), could provide some community building and
> support resources to ensure health and continuity of the osgeo4w ecosystem.
> Recognizing that the download infrastructure and website from Osgeo are
> huge supports, but they're not enough for vitality. Our 3 heroes can't or
> won't do this indefinitely. <<<*

We have focused on just listing the project on the website, if the project
takes the next step and is listed as an 'osgeo community' project the
incubation committee does have some budget to put towards community
projects and team building.

Thanks for recognizing and promoting their work, long term viability is a
challenge for all open source projects.