[OSGeo-Discuss] Did you know about this? Microsoft is acquiring GitHub

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Jun 5 06:17:37 PDT 2018

Hi Luís,

(you forgot to reply-all in your response, no problem)

Yes the OSGeo Gitea instance is fully open to anyone with an OSGeo ID,
and you can create both public or private repositories.  I can also
confirm that OSGeo's Gitea (https://git.osgeo.org/) has been stable for
a while now, and most of OSGeo's system architecture files are
leveraging it, as well as many software projects (you can browse the
activity at https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/explore/repos).

Migration Tool
--------------

Once you login with your OSGeo ID (if you don't have one yet head to
https://id.osgeo.org/) you should then see a small + icon in the top
right, click that and select "New Migration".  There is a "Clone
Address" field that you can then paste the link to your Github repository.

New Repository
--------------

You can also just create a new (public or private) repository: Once you
login with your OSGeo ID (if you don't have one yet head to
https://id.osgeo.org/) you should then see a small + icon in the top
right, click that and select "New Repository".

Hope this info helps you get started. If you have any issues just head
to the IRC channel #osgeo-sac and ask there (you can connect directly in
your browser at https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=osgeo-sac) -jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
President Emeritus, OSGeo Foundation