[OSGeo-Discuss] What would you need to come to a FOSS4G?

María Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Sat May 12 01:58:33 PDT 2018

Hi,

As part of the "improve diversity" actions, one of the things we should do
is make a list of all the things that would help people coming to
FOSS4G/OSGeo events. Off the record I have made a draft list of items,but
we need more brainstorming to make sure we cover all kind of inclusive
ideas. Don't be shy to expose your needs (on private if needed), there's
probably more people out there with similar needs.

Draft list (no order in particular, randomized on purpose):
* Accessible venue (wheelchair, blindness,...)
* Travel Grant
* Childcare
* Welcome party for newcomers so they feel part of the community (OSGeo
booth?)
* Translation services (I know, this is expensive, but just list it here
and see if we can move closer)
* Dietary restrictions
* Code of Conduct committee/team that can help solve on the fly harassment
issues
* Legal restrictions (VISA, travel restrictions, cultural specifics,
LGBTQi+ laws,...) and their workarounds

The idea is to make at least all "official" events answer if they provide
this services, and, if they provide them, if it is with an extra cost. Of
course, smaller events will have smaller budgets and will be less likely to
cover all of it. But at least they can have the list in mind and choose the
alternative closer to having a full list of requirements.

For event organizers: consider that it is always better to offer this
services with an extra cost than not offering them at all.

I'm waiting for your ideas. Thanks and have a nice weekend!
María.