[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo symbols set

Vicky Vergara vicky at georepublic.de
Thu Nov 22 06:27:34 PST 2018

Hello all,

I know the time it takes to do a design, as I do the release tweets designs
for pgRouting.

Maybe I don't understand the difference with the words symbols and logo.
Can you explain your understanding?

>From my perspective:
The majority of the projects symbol/logos look like their original design
but they lost their color and they "look" gray (or is the gray green in the
guidelines).

if a project has its own logo/symbol, like, pgRouting, baby elephant
playing with a compass, full with colors, is there a reason for us to have
a design change, a gray elephant head with two triangles in the ear?

Do the projects PSC need to vote for their logo/symbol change or is the
marketing committee, from now on be in charge of the logo/symbol designs of
projects and the projects PSC have no vote on that?

As SAC member:
Website:
Can you explain where in the website the projects's  symbol/logo would be
used
If applicable: where the original logos would be used?
Where/how would the OSGeo foundation symbols set would be used.
Where/how would the initiatives symbols set would be used.

Wiki:
In the wiki page we have badges for example:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:OSGeo_PSC.png
We are still using the old logo badges, because there is no specification
on the guidelines of how a badge should look like.

Regards
Vicky

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 2:28 PM nicolas bozon <nicolas.bozon at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have finally been able to put together and publish a first version of
> the OSGeo symbols set.
>
> This is a visual representation of the OSGeo projects and activities aimed
> at supplementing the Foundation branding material.
>
> A preview of the OSGeo symbols set is available here:
> https://nbozon.github.io/OSGeo/symbols-set/
>
> The 48 symbols fall into four categories:
> - Foundation (OSGeo fundamentals represented by 'Variations on the
> Compass')
> - Initiatives (mostly based on the compass shape too)
> - Projects (derived OSGeo project logos)
> - Community (derived Community projects logos)
>
> The set is made of two parts, both copyrighted OSGeo:
> - The source SVG documents, licensed under CC-BY-SA
>  (see
> https://github.com/nbozon/osgeo/tree/OSGeo-symbols-set/marketing/branding/symbols/svg
> )
> - A cross-browser webfont, licensed under OFL.
> (see
> https://github.com/nbozon/osgeo/tree/OSGeo-symbols-set/marketing/branding/symbols/font
> )
>
> Important notes:
> - Some projects do not have a logotype, only logotext, and cannot be
> included in the set at this stage (namely PROJ, GEOS, OSSIM and Degree).
> - Some projects logos were heavily modified or redrawn, in order to ensure
> constistency and scalability. I'm listening to project owners feedbacks and
> will be glad to work towards better solutions if needed.
> - All 48 symbols are made available as black SVG. The 16 Foundation and
> Initiatives icons are also available in color, based on our brand
> guidelines.
> - This work may not be exhaustive and is subject to change.
>
> Hope you will like it !
>
> Reviews, comments and ideas are most welcome in the related PR:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/pull/206
>

> Best regards,
>
> Nicolas Bozon

Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)