[OSGeo-Discuss] Java 11 code sprint taking shape for October 22-26th

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 16:37:20 PDT 2018

When:  October 22-26th
Where: North America (Victoria, BC), Europe (Italy or UK proposed), Oceania
(recommendations welcome)
Wiki: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Java_2018_Code_Sprint

If you or your project is interested in taking part, even remotely, please
add yourself to the above wiki page!

The Java community has a challenge ahead, with recent policy changes
setting the Java platform on a six-month release cycle. We also have a *python3
moment* as our open source libraries are tasked with upgrading to the use
of the "jigsaw" module system.

Top level applications like GeoServer and GeoNetwork need to make some
changes in order to run at all. Mostly this requires a dependency review,
upgrading to new libraries such as Spring 5 that are compatible with Java
11. Many of these libraries are broken due to changes to how reflection is
handled.

Java libraries like JTS and GeoTools are put in an awkward position as a
bottleneck on the safe use of the module system (see module hell problem
<http://blog.joda.org/2017/05/java-se-9-jpms-automatic-modules.html>). A
further complication for is a restriction preventing two jars from making
use of the same package.

Planning is currently underway:

   - GSIP 171 Java 18.9 Compatibility
   <https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/GSIP-171> (GeoServer)
   - Strategy for GeoNetwork
   <https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/wiki/OSGeo-Java-codesprint-2018>
   - Restructure GeoTools into Jigsaw modules
   <https://github.com/geotools/geotools/wiki/Restructure-GeoTools-into-Jigsaw-modules>

Recommended reading:

   - What Comes After JDK 8? <https://www.azul.com/what-comes-after-jdk-8/> -
   java release cycle changes