[OSGeo-Discuss] good article on open source considerations

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 11:15:35 PDT 2019

Now that open source is a established part of the IT landscape we can start
to see well thought out articles; which are much harder to answer then the
FUD we encountered earlier in the adoption curve.

https://blog.wolfram.com/2019/04/02/why-wolfram-tech-isnt-open-source-a-dozen-reasons/

It is worth thinking through these topics as we still have a lot of
advocacy work to do in our mapping/location industry.

In the specific case of wolfram I love the work and RnD they have done.
Would much rather see symbolic computing (and so on..) have a wider reach
into more fields then be bottled up by one company. Long term I think that
will occur. Short term I like that the open science is taking folks away
from replying on their tools from a “good science is reproducible science”
standpoint.
Jody Garnett