[OSGeo-Discuss] TIN file formats

Saber Razmjooei saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Thu Dec 12 06:45:46 PST 2019

Hi Pierre,

Apologies for the late response.

The link was updated. If your TIN is small, you can use MDAL to read it. An
example of such data (ESRI ADF TIN) can be found here:
https://github.com/lutraconsulting/MDAL/blob/master/mdal/frmts/mdal_esri_tin.cpp

With MDAL/QGIS, you can also display vectoral data (e.g. slope direction in
http://files.carlsonsw.com/mirror/manuals/Carlson_2014/source/Site_Road_Design/Surface/Triangulate_amp_Contour/08tri_contour9.PNG
).

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Saber

For

On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 at 03:50, Pierre Abbat <phma at bezitopo.org> wrote:

> On Saturday, 7 December 2019 03.21.17 EST Saber Razmjooei wrote:
> > Hi Pierre,
> > Very interesting! We are trying to create a generic TIN reader/writer for
> > open source applications:
> > https://github.com/lutraconsulting/MDAL/
> >
> > MDAL already supports a number of TIN/mesh formats and it is integrated
> > with QGIS.
> >
> > It would be good to join efforts.
>
> How does MDAL represent TINs internally?
>
> Where is the QGIS coding style? The link on that page goes to a 404 page.
>
> I may try to find out what the Carlson TIN header means. I'm talking to
> another surveyor tomorrow, who has tried to get the spec, but since I last
> talked with him about it, I met some people (not programmers) from
> Carlson,
> generated a TIN from a point cloud as they watched, exported it as
> Carlson,
> and handed it to them on a flash drive.
>
> Pierre
>
> --