[OSGeo-Discuss] Gender neutral default image on webpage

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Jan 22 00:35:44 PST 2019

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 4:53 AM Vicky Vergara <vicky at georepublic.de> wrote:

> Hello all
> I made a gender neutral default image representing an OSGeo member.
> Hope you like it.

Not sure I do like it! The head is so large compared to the body, and
the body so devoid of feature I don't immediately read it as an
abstract human representation. I'm almost reading it as a lower-case
'i'. Plus the logo is ever so slightly off-center from the circle
which is triggering my OCD tendencies a bit.

Maybe if the body was a bit larger and connected to the head. It is a
very bold and high-contrast design, and appears very large on the page
so the overall impact is quite massive. Maybe if the icons were
smaller it wouldn't matter so much, but as the page is currently my
browser shows only four people on a screen at once, and most of that
is avatars and fairly empty squares with names in. Sorry if I've
drifted off topic into the web page design now....

 Happy to tweak it a bit if you've got an Inkscape SVG to share.

Barry