[OSGeo-Discuss] GIS accessibility for visually impaired students

Jochen Albrecht jochen.albrecht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 13:53:09 PDT 2019

The specifics in this posting pertain to the legal environment in the
United States but I am confident that the question arises in a European or
Austral-Asian context as well.

As we are increasingly relying of software in general and web-based
software in particular, we are obliged to accommodate students with visual
impairments
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.section508.gov_manage_laws-2Dand-2Dpolicies&d=DwMFaQ&c=mRWFL96tuqj9V0Jjj4h40ddo0XsmttALwKjAEOCyUjY&r=MPxyTrVtgE0ezokIPTXSHCG53Se6Rp2VL-JLxEJUS7VI6sUiFd92dWSMHDhcSZ8W&m=rVAHApb8p60PLcMtwSPBms4-IwPCWsfRQ2yB8U2sd1g&s=IU63yqVi9SWU6N7K7osCArit2ZBWk2d6aW9xNtq_RXk&e=>.
In the US, the vehicle to addressing this issue is a so-called Voluntary
Product Accessibility Template (VPAT
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.section508.gov_sell_vpat&d=DwMFaQ&c=mRWFL96tuqj9V0Jjj4h40ddo0XsmttALwKjAEOCyUjY&r=MPxyTrVtgE0ezokIPTXSHCG53Se6Rp2VL-JLxEJUS7VI6sUiFd92dWSMHDhcSZ8W&m=rVAHApb8p60PLcMtwSPBms4-IwPCWsfRQ2yB8U2sd1g&s=H8_WCvZnKYro3wxynVL9AHJUf72VcCNplRWz-7jF4iw&e=>)
for the software that we use regularly in our teaching. I found some
minimal (not satisfying) language on the ESRI web site but struggle to find
anything for OSGeo software.

Any suggestions, advice, or comments will be welcomed.
Cheers,
     Jochen

Dr. Jochen Albrecht, GISP
Professor for Computational and Theoretical Geography
Department of Geography and Environmental Science
Hunter College, City University of New York
695 Park Avenue - HN 1030
New York, NY 10065