[OSGeo-Discuss] Free licensed alternative to ESRI map fonts

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 17:36:31 PDT 2020

On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 23:38, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:

> This discussion starts to get into the value, it is a lot of work to gather up these original or alternate sources ... both for end users migrating to open source, and for OSGeo projects to do on their own.
>
> I think this would be a great group project.

Brett has recently compiled a summary of these fonts and symbols here:
https://github.com/Saijin-Naib/ESRI-Fonts-Cheat-Sheets

What I think we should aim for is an equivalent of the "Liberation"
font package, which implements freely licensed equivalents of the
standard Windows font packages (Arial, Times New Roman, etc), with
identical font metrics and similar styling so that they can be used
effectively as a drop-in replacement.

What would be the next step to move forward with this and approach
osgeo for funding?

Kind regards,
Nyall