[OSGeo-Discuss] [Analysis] Geospatial server deployment statistics

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Fri Jun 5 09:10:26 PDT 2020

Hi Jody,
Thanks for the feedback. You're very welcome to cross-post it; the
blog-content is all CC-BY-SA 4.0 by default so share as you wish.

 > What do other WMS implementations do?

Projection list - I can't comment on how the other software deals with
this from an administration perspective (I've only ever administered
GeoServer), but from when I've looked at the GetCaps I don't remember
seeing long lists, and no server apart from GeoServer ended up
triggering the " > 5000 projections" score item (itself an arbitrary
cut-off, didn't test for a low bound).

(One SQL query later...)
Number of projections per dataset below across all server types.

Right column is the number of declared projections (merges the layer and
nested layer projections), the left column is how many datasets it
applies to.
Note: If the service declares more than 30 projections GeoSeer culls it
down to 0.

Count        Num Projections
14            30
200            29
1168        28
1160        27
672            26
3198        25
2037        24
1745        23
5207        22
5175        21
760            20
2348        19
3588        18
4967        17
8254        16
2680        15
14317        14
20274        13
13806        12
17194        11
54545        10
39030        9
43833        8
25608        7
55328        6
50072        5
234676        4
173938        3
149098        2
572727        1
720060        0

I don't imagine there would be big resource savings - it's only around
120kB uncompressed.

Cheers,
Jonathan