[OSGeo-Discuss] [Analysis] Geospatial server deployment statistics

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Jun 5 14:50:14 PDT 2020

On vendredi 5 juin 2020 14:18:42 CEST Jody Garnett wrote:
> Interesting so some of the 5000+ WMS services attributed to geoserver may
> be mapserver instances?

I imagine someone with sufficient time and determination could actually do much more
than saying this is a Geoserver, this is a Mapserver. You could actually probably tell the
precise version number. One advantage of being open source is that our bug trackers are
public too. So by looking at which bug a deployment has or not, you could really refine
the identification. But that would indeed be time consuming and cumbersome to do. I
guess only black hat hackers would be interesting in that :-)
But probably more easily: triggering exception situations in WMS/WFS/etc protocols
should help to find the implementation. Error messages are really implementation
specific. But maybe part of that was actually done.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com