[OSGeo-Discuss] [Analysis] Geospatial server deployment statistics

Jim Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 16:12:17 PDT 2020

On 6/5/20 4:50 PM, Even Rouault wrote:

> On vendredi 5 juin 2020 14:18:42 CEST Jody Garnett wrote:
>
> > Interesting so some of the 5000+ WMS services attributed to geoserver may
>
> > be mapserver instances?
>
> I imagine someone with sufficient time and determination could actually do much more than saying this is a Geoserver, this is a Mapserver. You could actually probably tell the precise version number. One advantage of being open source is that our bug trackers are public too. So by looking at which bug a deployment has or not, you could really refine the identification. But that would indeed be time consuming and cumbersome to do. I guess only black hat hackers would be interesting in that :-)
>
> But probably more easily: triggering exception situations in WMS/WFS/etc protocols should help to find the implementation. Error messages are really implementation specific. But maybe part of that was actually done.
>
> Even

I'm not sure with GeoServer, but MapServer is very easy to tell from the responses.  The GetCapabilities response even includes the version number in an XML comment (which reminds me, I need to update my MapServer installs).

No parameters:

         https://www.example.org/datasets/wms.map?

No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is set, but empty.

or, depending on how the server is setup

       mapserv(): Web application error. Traditional BROWSE mode requires a TEMPLATE in the WEB section, but none was provided.

Missing WMS REQUEST parameter:

https://www.example.org/datasets/wms.map?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0

<ServiceExceptionReport version="1.3.0" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opengis.net/ogc http://schemas.opengis.net/wms/1.3.0/exceptions_1_3_0.xsd"><ServiceException>
*msWMSDispatch()*: WMS server error. Incomplete WMS request: REQUEST parameter missing
</ServiceException></ServiceExceptionReport>

GetCapabilities:

https://www.example.org/datasets/wms.map?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&Request=GetCapabilities

       <WMS_Capabilities version="1.3.0" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opengis.net/wms http://schemas.opengis.net/wms/1.3.0/capabilities_1_3_0.xsd http://www.opengis.net/sld http://schemas.opengis.net/sld/1.1.0/sld_capabilities.xsd http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/mapserver http://www.example.org/datasets/wms.map?SERVICE=WMS&service=WMS&version=1.3.0&request=GetSchemaExtension">*<!--**
** MapServer version 7.0.5 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=KML SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=AGG SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=CAIRO SUPPORTS=SVG_SYMBOLS SUPPORTS=RSVG SUPPORTS=ICONV SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=SOS_SERVER SUPPORTS=FASTCGI SUPPORTS=THREADS SUPPORTS=GEOS INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE **
**-->*<Service><Name>WMS</Name>...