[OSGeo-Discuss] [Analysis] Geospatial server deployment statistics

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Fri Jun 5 23:39:09 PDT 2020

 > Interesting so some of the 5000+ WMS services attributed to geoserver
may be mapserver instances?

Extremely unlikely. Multiple fingerprints were used for each piece of
software. For GeoServer I have 9 different fingerprints any one of which
is almost always unique to GeoServer, for MapServer there are 5
fingerprints including a unique XML namespace, and they have a
"MapServer Version" comment too. If there was even one conflict then it
was filed under "UNSURE" (which is mostly MapBender). I leant toward
False Negatives over False Positives.

 > You could actually probably tell the precise version number.

I did this with GeoServer 3 years ago -
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Stats-on-GeoServer-versions-as-currently-deployed-td5314686.html
- but that was using a very different method (a custom scrape of the
GeoServer admin websites as they have the version number explicitly on
them: example: http://demo.geo-solutions.it/geoserver/web/).

As Jim said, this would be easy to do with MapServer too as a result of
the "<!--MapServer Version ..." comment, but only about 40% of MapServer
services have that comment enabled (I don't know if that's because it's
version specific or admins can disable it).