[OSGeo-Discuss] geospatial algorithm to create area midway boundaries from lines ?

karsten karsten at terragis.net
Fri Mar 6 14:36:15 PST 2020

Hi All,

a general geospatial question to all:
I am trying to find out if there is any existing geospatial algorithm (in
any open Open Source Geospatial software) that would allow to use a network
of lines as a start point and expand those in such a way that I can create
new area boundaries for each of the lines "coverage area". What I mean with
that is if one could "buffer" the lines out in such a way to create
boundaries where any potential buffers would meet at the middle way point
between the lines so that in the end I could have an area within that is the
starting line. On example could look like this (5 hand drawn lines in red
and corresponding colored areas that I would want to create). Note that is
exact but to communicate the idea) see
http://terra5.terragis.net/sites/html/aeras_for_lines%20copy.png

It's kind of similar to Thiessen polygons but for lines instead of points...

One preference would be if there was something that could be used
programmatically on large data sets ...

Cheers
Karsten

Karsten Vennemann