[OSGeo-Discuss] Which dialect of Spanish should I declare?

Jorge Sanz xurxosanz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 01:24:37 PDT 2020

Hi Pierre

Just forwarded
<https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/spanish/2020-October/008937.html> to the
Spanish Language list, let's see if someone has experience in translating
from Spanish.

I understand software presenting interfaces into Spanish should be fine on
picking your "es-US" code since it's one of the (apparently) supported
codes, at least on my computer.

$ cat /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED | grep -o "es_.." | uniq
es_AR
es_BO
es_CL
es_CO
es_CR
es_CU
es_DO
es_EC
es_ES
es_GT
es_HN
es_MX
es_NI
es_PA
es_PE
es_PR
es_PY
es_SV
es_US
es_UY
es_VE

On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 08:17, Pierre Abbat <phma at bezitopo.org> wrote:

> I prepare some of my programs, including PerfectTIN, with translation
> files to
> make sure that the internationalization works. My English is clearly North
> American, so I'm fine with the English file being labeled en-US. My
> Spanish,
> though, I'm not so sure. I know it's Leftpondian, but can't pick a
> specific
> country. My accent is Salvadoran, with admixture of my other native
> languages,
> as that's where my mother grew up. My vocabulary, though, is a mishmash of
> words I picked up from Spanish speakers from all over the Americas. I'm
> hesitant to call it es-US, as that to me means Spanish spoken by people
> whose
> ancestors have been in the US for at least a few generations.
>
> As far as terms that are likely to be in translation files, I say
> "computadora", but I'm fine with "ordenador", as my second language is
> French.
> I say "fichero", but that may again be because of French.
>
> The Spanish file says "es" in the header, but Qt Linguist calls it
> "español de
> España". Is this a quirk of Qt Linguist? Should I rename the English file,
> which has "en-US" in the header, to have "en-US" in the filename?
>
> Pierre
> --
> ve ka'a ro klaji la .romas. se jmaji

Jorge Sanz