[OSGeo-Discuss] How to set SHARE_DIR?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Oct 6 03:01:45 PDT 2020

On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 at 11:47, Pierre Abbat <phma at bezitopo.org> wrote:

> On Monday, October 5, 2020 11:04:36 PM EDT Jim Klassen wrote:
> > I wouldn't expect someone to set CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME.  That just
> > seems like a good way to cause issues to me.
> >
> > There is a ~/.local/share directory and a ~/.local/share/applications
> > directory in my home directory that has desktop files in it.  (That might
> > imply using CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/.local is possible but that still
> > seems like it is asking for trouble.)
> >
> > Standard practice is to put the files under
> > ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/<app> unless the user specifically overrides
> > that.  I consider it hostile behavior when an installer or build system
> > starts putting files outside of the path(s) that I have specified for it.
> > I can make symlinks for files in ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share to
> > ~/.local/share/applications manually if I want to.
>
> My build directories are:

Pierre,

Forgive me if I'm a party killer, but why don't you request OSGeo SAC/Admins
to create a mailing list on https://lists.osgeo.org/ dedicated for your project?

This is "the public list to talk about the Open Source Geospatial
Foundation (OSGeo) in general" with many subscribers who are not
interested in programming or any other low-level technical trivias.

Best regards,