[OSGeo-Discuss] GEOS 3.8.2 Released

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri Apr 23 17:10:07 PDT 2021

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 2:38 PM Alexandre Neto <senhor.neto at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Probably not the right place or topic to ask, but here it goes... Is there
> a formal LTR version for GEOS?

No, we can barely handle the formality around cutting releases without
getting all formal about "long term" versus other stuff. Mostly new
releases are new features and faster old features, and only occasionally is
there anything backwards changing (the 3.9 overlay had some minor behaviour
changes, but not enough to warrant a 4.0 release).

> Or the 3.8.2 patch is only happening because of all the brand new
> precision feature on 3.9.x?

No, we try to backport things that are back-portable, because we recognize
that distros sometimes peg versions, even though upgrading is usually a
safe bet. 3.8.2 is just because that branch had accumulated a lot of fixes
without a release.