[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo AUTH compare to OSM

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Tue Nov 22 07:02:24 PST 2022

Hi All from California, USA -

   today I see a call to vote on moderators at Openstreetmap USA. The
link goes to

https://www.openstreetmap.org/login

   You can see that OSM USA appears to cooperate for "federated login"
(sharing credential mechanisms) via *OpenID*.

   Secondly it seems that OSM USA is a client to some larger AUTHs, for
example *Facebook*.

   as a user of *OSGeo ID AUTH*, I support a model where OSGeo owns and
runs AUTH, and can share with other organizations on a case-by-case
basis.. this is the model of the OpenID system (as I understand it).

   It is my opinion that being a client of centralized AUTH, such as
Facebook, is the wrong road for OSGeo dot org. The relationship there is
a client relationship such that information and control are passed
one-way, and there is very little growth on the OSGeo side over time,
while  central AUTH becomes stronger.

   I believe in OSGeo dot org long-term, and wish to see OSGeo own and
operate AUTH for its own purposes, independent of centralized services
such as Facebook.

   sincerely

     --Brian M Hamlin    /  MAPLABS  /  OSGeoLive PSC