[OSGeo-Discuss] EU Cyber Resilience Act - potential impacts on open geospatial software?

Luí­s Moreira de Sousa luis.de.sousa at protonmail.ch
Thu Aug 3 00:43:59 PDT 2023

Dear all,

hours ago, Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal and TYPO3 published an open letter on the CRA painting a scenario similar to the worst case I put forth here last week. Not only are FOSS projects threatened, thousands of European SMEs will either perish or move on to wholesale commercial software in the wake of this legislation. Essentially, we are speaking of the companies that contribute to fund OSGeo and sponsor the FOSS4G.

https://wordpress.org/news/files/2023/08/Open_Letter_on_the_Significance_of_Free_and_Open_Source_Software_in_the_EU_s_Proposed_Cyber_Resilience_Act.pdf

I am becoming increasingly concerned by this. I would exhort every charter member in Europe to get thoroughly informed and seek advice from trade guilds or unions and enterprise associations or federations.

Regards,

Luís