[OSGeo-Discuss] Cyber Resilience Act staying informed on updates

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 07:09:31 PST 2023

Follow up to November discussion and blog post
<https://www.osgeo.org/foundation-news/eu-cyber-resilience-act/> asking
OSGeo community to be informed.

   1. At the end November Europe lawmakers agreed on something:
   https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2023/11/30/cyber-resilience-act-council-and-parliament-strike-a-deal-on-security-requirements-for-digital-products/

   Free and open source was so far down the priority list that the press
   release does not even mention it.

   1. Next there were assurances that free and open-source community
   concerns were addressed:
   https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20231106IPR09007/cyber-resilience-act-agreement-with-council-to-boost-digital-products-security

   The quote did indicate how our concerns were addressed:

   > We have ensured support for micro and small enterprises and better
   involvement of stakeholders, and addressed the concerns of the open-source
   community, while keeping an ambitious European dimension.

   1. This week I can find a articles providing clarifications that have
   been added:
   https://openforumeurope.org/eu-cyber-resilience-act-takes-a-leap-forward/

   Two clarifications:

   > the provision of free and open-source software products with digital
   elements that are not monetised by their manufacturers is not considered a
   commercial activity

   > The mere circumstances under which the product has been developed, or
   how the development has been financed should therefore not be taken into
   account when determining the commercial or non-commercial nature of [making
   free and open-source software available on the market].

—
Jody