[OSGeo-Discuss] Mailing lists to discourse migration

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Dec 30 03:46:24 PST 2023

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 30, 2023 at 10:55 AM Luca Delucchi via Discuss
<discuss at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:
> I'm also quite new to Discourse but For what I can see with the discourse instance of OpenStreetMap where the
> Italian OSM community created a category for Italian discussion there are only pros to have Discourse instead mailman since:
> - people used to use mailing list can continue to answer via email
> - people used to write via forum con use this way
> - archive is searchable

Just to add to the options we 8theoretically) have:

With an upgrade from mailman-2 to mailman-3 we could also have a
searchable archive.
See for example
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/
which looks much more modern than mailman-2 on OSGeo.

> For my little usage I don't see any cons to move from mailman to Discourse, however as Jody said every community can choose their own tool to communicate

Let me suggest to avid too much fragmentation. This will not help to
get people more engaged.

Markus