[OSGeo-Discuss] Mailing lists to discourse migration

Luca Delucchi lucadeluge at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 01:55:21 PST 2023

Il ven 29 dic 2023, 16:38 Jody Garnett via Discuss <discuss at lists.osgeo.org>
ha scritto:

> Vicky is just the messenger, and may of caused some confusion when
> describing a new service the system admin committee has brought online.
> There no move planned; just some new software has just been installed and
> is available for any groups wishing to make use of discourse.
>
> Folks have requested a forum for a while now - part of lowering the
> barrier of entry for a new generation etc…
> I hope the groups that have been waiting for this could help explain to
> the discussion list.
>
> I am afraid I am just unfamiliar with this particular forum software which
> is why I have been asking questions.

I'm also quite new to Discourse but For what I can see with the discourse
instance of OpenStreetMap where the Italian OSM community created a
category for Italian discussion there are only pros to have Discourse
instead mailman since:
- people used to use mailing list can continue to answer via email
- people used to write via forum con use this way
- archive is searchable

For my little usage I don't see any cons to move from mailman to Discourse,
however as Jody said every community can choose their own tool to
communicate

--
> Jody Garnett

my2cents