[OSGeo-Discuss] Successful Launch to the Campaign for Data Ethics in Education

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Sat Jun 3 23:27:48 PDT 2023

Dear colleagues

I have some ethical queries and appreciate your advice and guidance.

What is the impact of Data Colonialism for African countries and for the people of Africa?

Who owns Africa Geo Portals?  What are the costs to be payed per year to the GIS Vendor Owners by African countries and citizens in a few years' time for accessing Earth Observation data and insights?

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/geoethics-awareness-dialogues-speaking-truth-power-suchith-anand/

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/geoethics-awareness-dialogues-geography-week-suchith-anand/

This Data Values article which looks into  Digital Feudalism in Earth Observation data affecting farmers might be of interest. I thank the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (GPSDD)  for inviting me to write this article. More details at https://datavaluesdigest.substack.com/p/how-digital-feudalism-hurts-farmers

Why is the impact of Data Feudalism and Data Colonialism not included in the GIS Curriculum?  Is it because of some GIS Vendor “sponsorship” pressure?

What policies and curriculum are universities, educators adopting to reduce GIS Vendor Feudalism/Colonialism in GIS education?

What is the impact of trust and credibility of science when there are examples of some GIS vendors now trademarking and using “Science” as part for their brand/marketing/sales of their products/services?

Is it Ethical for any GIS Vendors using “science” as part of marketing strategy for selling/promoting their products/services/brand. Is using “science” as part of marketing for selling/promoting products/services/brand by GIS vendors misinformation ?

What is the ethical impact of vendor “sponsorship” of scientific conferences, scientific journals in return for promoting their brand as the Science of a topic  through the scientific associations website, social media etc  for  Geographic Information Science discipline as a whole?

What will be the impact of this for Integrity of Science?

What is the impact of this for Humanity?

More details at  http://lists.codata.org/pipermail/codata-international_lists.codata.org/2023-February/002744.html

Ethical frameworks in governance at all levels (from global to national to local) are important to protect democracy, protect human rights and prevent corruption.

Best wishes

Suchith