[OSGeo-Discuss] Mailing lists to discourse migration

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Jan 3 15:47:23 PST 2024

> On Wed, Jan 03, 2024 at 10:14:24AM -0500, Anna Petrášová wrote:

> > Thank you, that's really helpful to know. I wonder if this "mailing list"

> > behavior could be set as a default for the migrated users.

I think by default new users, get emails of categories they watch unless they turn them off.

You could, setup a group for your mailing list, and invite everyone that was on your mailman to join that group so as soon as they register/login for first time

, they are automatically added to the group.

In the group admin settings, you can set this as default for new users of the group:

So by setting the group, to watch the category (your mailing list), you essentially force a mailing list behavior.

I think I mentioned before, but just in case, when you set up a category, you can set it to allow anyone with an account or only allow people in a group to be able to

Post topics and reply to topics.  So that would emulate the current mailman behavior of only mailing list members can post to a mailing list.

> I also wonder if the "mailing list behaviour" is good enough, but this we can tell

> by testing it, so I suggest all users interested in such a migration to test the

> current "categories" (equivalent of "mailing list" in Discourse terms) and see if

> they are able to create a new thread by email, for example.

> --strk;

I think the only real lists we have are the QGIS-fr-user, General, OSGeo Site Feedback, and OSGeoLive-docs

The rest are mailman mirrors only so regular users wouldn't be able to post to them.