[OSGeo-Discuss] Revamped spatialreference.org

Javier Jimenez Shaw j1 at jimenezshaw.com
Mon Jan 8 11:35:07 PST 2024

Hi

Even Rouault suggested me to announce here the availability of the
refreshed spatialreference.org

Howard Butler already announced it in the PROJ mailing list (very nice
words, thanks). Maybe some people from this list are interested as well.

Yesterday https://spatialreference.org/ was renewed, after many years (10?)
of inactivity. The style is the same (yes, from the beginning of this
century), but the data is now up to date. It includes modern formats that
didn't exist back then like WKT2 or PROJJSON.

As Howard says in https://fosstodon.org/@hobu/111718045341643725
it is now statically generated, blazing fast, GitHub pages hosted, based on
PROJ/PyPROJ.

I started this project a few months ago after Even Rouault suggested me the
idea based on my previous development of https://crs-explorer.proj.org/
The main idea is exactly the same as in the CRS-Explorer: generate in
python a JSON file with all the CRSs available in PROJ using PyPROJ, and
display the information in a webpage statically hosted in GitHub pages
(helped by JavaScript).

The code to generate the webpage (and the webpage itself) is at
https://github.com/OSGeo/spatialreference.org/

Cheers,
Javier