[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Expresses Heartfelt Thanks for a Decade of Collaboration with TIB Hannover’s AV-Portal

Astrid Emde (OSGeo) astrid_emde at osgeo.org
Wed Jun 26 01:28:54 PDT 2024

June 25,  2024
see news item:
https://www.osgeo.org/foundation-news/osgeo-expresses-heartfelt-thanks-for-a-decade-of-collaboration-with-tib-hannovers-av-portal/

As the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo)
reflects on the past decade of preserving and sharing geospatial
knowledge, we extend our deepest gratitude to TIB Hannover and all
contributors to the AV-Portal. Over these years, our collaborative
efforts have ensured that over 1,800 valuable FOSS4G conference
recordings and historic FOSS GIS videos are not only preserved but
also made accessible and citable as part of the global scientific
heritage.

The AV-Portal, which celebrated its 10th anniversary in April this
year, has been instrumental in this mission. As a non-commercial, open
platform for scientific content, the AV-Portal has amassed more than
45,000 videos and serves as a critical resource for researchers and
enthusiasts in a variety of fields, including the geospatial sciences.

Our community has benefited immeasurably from this resource,
generously funded by German taxpayers and managed with exemplary
dedication by TIB Hannover. The ability to access, cite, and explore
geospatial content through FAIR persistent identifiers such as DOI
ensures that this knowledge is preserved for future generations and
seamlessly integrated into scientific discourse.

As OSGeo continues to support and promote open source geospatial
software, we acknowledge the indispensable role of platforms like the
AV-Portal in our journey. Here's to more years of successful
partnership, shared growth, and mutual enrichment in the pursuit of
open and accessible scientific knowledge.

For further information on OSGeo's initiatives and how to access the
archived videos, please visit OSGeo's Series on the AV-Portal at
https://av.tib.eu/publisher/Open_Source_Geospatial_Foundation_%28OSGeo%29

Some examples of video recordings:

GRASS GIS, Star Trek and old Video Tape Ð a reference case on
audiovisual preservation for the OSGeo communities
https://doi.org/10.5446/31768

OSGeo conference videos as a resource for scientific research: The
TIB|AV Portal
https://doi.org/10.5446/20452

Video recordings from the very early Open Source Geospatial Conferences,
going back to 2002:
https://av.tib.eu/series/291/open+source+gis+grass+user+conference+2002

About OSGeo
The Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) is a non-profit
organization dedicated to the development and promotion of open-source
geospatial technologies and data. OSGeo serves as an umbrella
organization for the collaborative development of open source
geospatial software, and provides financial, organizational, and legal
support to the broader geospatial community.