[OSGeo-Edu] Some thoughts

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Fri Apr 14 00:59:26 EDT 2006

Dear All,

Sorry I could not take part in the last Edu meeting.
I agree with Frank views,

I think "Introduction to GIS" could focus mainly
on GRASS-GIS and QGIS Desktop GIS

"GRASS GIS 6.0 Tutorial. Version 1.2" by
Markus and others could be a good candidate for
further enhancement. This tutorial is already been
made available under GNU Free Document License.
Further enhancements that could be considered for
this tutorial would be to include more examples
related to natural,social and human sciences

I think it would also be worth considering an
"Introduction to Web GIS" also. There is already
quite a bit of material that could be used as
a starting point to build on. We have also put
some documentation under Free Document License
at http://www.maptools.org/maplab/index.phtml?page=user-contrib.html
This document needs much improvement and we are also
trying to update it with new version of software
and additional demos. I could provide the Open Office
Document of this training material if some of
the wants to improve enhance it. I think our present
tutorial could be enhanced for example by making
OGC Web Services concepts more clear.

About the software packaging, I already mentioned
on OSGEO discuss list that the new FOSS4G Toolkit
CD (tested on Mandriva 2006) is available for
download at http://wgrass.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/foss4g/downloads
Tyler also said that he was trying to test in on Suse.
I think the CD can be tested and improved for other
linux distributions the CD could be a suitable candidate for
both "Introduction to GIS" and "Introduction to Web-GIS"
courses.

I also mentioned about hosting an online course using
the Moodle Course Management System. We are using Moodle
to put some of the GRASS course material that we had
earlier developed in Japanese language. I find Moodle
quite good to Online Course Management. I could help in
hosting a Moodle server if necessary. Or. perhaps
OSGeo could host its own Moodle server. We are also
trying do develop some Flash screen casting material using
vnc2swf(http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/vnc2swf/)

About short-term course modules, I think there is quite
good material prepared for the workshops at previous
Mapserver meetings. If the authors could agree release
these materials under Free Document or other suitable license,
it could work as a repository for short training courses.

I wonder if OSGeo could coax some publisher (O'Reilly, Apress, OSGeo Press?
maybe) or find some budget a publishing OSGeo text books under
Free Document License. A text book would be quite useful
for use in countries where internet bandwith at universities
is rather narrow.

Regards

Venka