[OSGeo-Edu] FreeGIS Book

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Sun Aug 13 11:07:07 EDT 2006

[...]

Sorry for bringing this up again. It has been decided to make it a
Mediawiki but it will not connect to the LDAP easily. Thats where it seems
to be stuck. Lets see what SAC works out.

>> Alternatively set up another Drupal, I really like
>> to OSGeo prototype: http://frot.org/osgeo/portal/de/node/49
>

> I saw this referenced in Jo's email, and it concerned me. I am all for
> things being easier, however, I am also for things being consistent.
> If mediawiki is really less appropriate than drupal, then it would be
> nice to standardize on just one platform all around. Forking is really
> a disintegrating force. Yes, osgeo, as is, is a bit confusing, but
> perhaps the solution to that is to make it less confusing instead of
> starting another version of it altogether.
>
> Hope all this makes sense.

Sure does, you gave it all the sense it needed. To me OSGeo is not
confusing, it is just developing quick. :-) OSGeo needs many different
technolgoies, its not just Wiki and Website but also code versioning, bug
or issue tracker, polling software and what not. The board tries to be
agnostic regarding which software to use, its mostly up to the committee
or software project to decide.

The current intregrated web site and development platform is going to be
discontinued as it does not fulfil the needs of OSGeo. It is not flexible
and not open. Please have a really close look at the OSGeo Website
prototype and then (after you see that you really like it) start to
promote it. :-) I hope that it will be first major step to a new
infrastructure and we should get going for FOSS4G.

This migration does not concern the OSGeo Wiki. The static content already
produced by WebCom should be fairly easy to migrate.  But the longer we
wait the more it will be. This is why I am trying to push this idea a
little. Just nudging. If you are concerned, speak up.

Regards,
Arnulf.