[OSGeo-Edu] Certification of Gary's course

P Kishor punkish at eidesis.org
Sun Aug 27 21:00:26 EDT 2006

On 8/27/06, Pericles S. Nacionales <naci0002 at umn.edu> wrote:
> Here's my $0.02...  as bottom line goes, I don't have a problem with
> Gary, Ari, or Charlie using the OSGeo logo for their tutorials.  I
> would, however, like to see these tutorials (with proper, OSGeo-accepted
> copyright license) in the wiki and we ought to continue discussing how
> we would proceed with certification.  We can always make changes to
> these tutorials if needed.
>
> I haven't really heard anyone say they don't want to see Gary use the
> OSGeo logo.  If anyone has reservations, we would like to hear it.

I have no reservations, although I also must admit that I have not
been through the course materials. I don't have experience with course
materials, so I am depending on those with more experience in this.

The collective experience is the best, obviously... we all would agree.

> One important question, do we (the education committee) have a say in
> approving the use of OSGeo logo or is this something that requires the
> board's approval?

Well, that is not clear to me. Gary's request bounced to Frank, who
put in our court, and we've been batting around with it since then
(ok. enough cricket metaphors already).

I would think that "legal" (if there were such a thing) would have to
have a say in this, or perhaps the certification committee... are
their licensing implications wrt the tools being used in the course,
for example. This whole licensing thing is a minefield that looks very
murky to me. Which is why determining what "putting a logo" symbolizes
might be helpful -- recognize vs. certify vs. endorse, etc. etc. I
think a logo with the appropriate disclaimer would be perfectly fine
by me.

Gary's course would get an additional button, and the button in
question would get additional  eyballs.

Nelson Inst. for Env. Studies, UW-Madison http://www.ies.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation https://edu.osgeo.org/