[OSGeo-Edu] Book on needs of GIScience

Ned Horning horning at amnh.org
Wed Aug 30 10:56:36 EDT 2006

Ari and others,

Thanks for brining this up. It's interesting that "open source" is mentioned
only once. There is a definite bias toward commercial/proprietary vendors.
They talk quite a bit about the Open Geospatial Consortium but seem to
ignore the open source software movement.

Some of the issues they raise are being addressed by OSGeo and it might be
useful to craft a letter for the National Research Council to inform them of
this oversight and suggest that an OSGeo representative be included on
future related efforts. I realize OSGeo is still in its infancy but it is
important to let these folks know we exist and that we are a significant
player in the world of geospatial tools.

The NASA Earth Science Education Program is another group that we should
target for enlightenment.

All the best,

Ned