TIGER and status on my FOSS GIS course materials

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Fri Dec 8 10:58:05 EST 2006

Ari (and others),

Thanks for posting that Tiger conversion information.

One broader question. I assume TIGER is really a US dataset. Are there
similar types of census data in various countries in Europe? Are there
any standards emerging on census data?

Second, I continue to move forward on my FOSS GIS material, the
unexpected death of my father slowed me down in October-November. But as
planned, I intend to teach an online "Intro to FOSS GIS" course in
Spring semester 2007. However, I think it might be better for me to go
through one semester with the material to get some kinks out before I
offer it for full consumption on OSGEO-edu and possible "OSGEO
labeling".

I'll send more of a status in January and would be happy to send
examples of the material to anyone interested in seeing them, or I could
make the wiki pages available if people feel strongly that I should.

Cheers
Charlie Schweik