[OSGeo-Edu] TIGER and status on my FOSS GIS course materials

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Fri Dec 8 11:11:28 EST 2006

Charlie Schweik kirjoitti:
> One broader question. I assume TIGER is really a US dataset. Are there
> similar types of census data in various countries in Europe? Are there
> any standards emerging on census data?

I'm not that familiar with TIGER since it is US data. We have (horribly
expensive) census data available at least in 1 km x 1 km and 250 m x 250
m squares of Finland (I have access to those). It has such information
as household size, education, employment, homes, offices, etc.

European data harmonization is of course a big issue but I guess the
European datasets are squares also but larger.

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Geoinformaatio- ja paikannustekniikka / Geoinformation and positioning