Getting Started on the Free GIS Book...

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Tue Dec 19 12:13:18 EST 2006

I'd like to get started on the Free GIS Book in a few days. I think
there are a couple of issues that need to get nailed down before I throw
in a bunch of effort on the book.

[1] Is there someone taking the lead on this project? Is there a person
that I can ask for final decisions on things like the book's content,
style, and format?

[2] Do we have a target audience for the book? Are we writing for an
international audience, for GIS beginners or experienced professionals?

[3] What license will we use to release the material of book? I was
thinking about the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share
Alike 2.5 License. You can find details about the license here:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/>

Basically the license allows the text to be freely distributed and
modified, but not for commercial purposes, and any modified text must be
released under the same license.

[4] I had also planned on starting a "math for maps" chapter of the
book. I realize now that this may be a little too broad of a subject,
and may even deserve a separate "book". I can address this at some point
in the future. So I thought I would instead start with an introductory
chapter that defines GIS. After that I might tackle a couple of chapters
on common GIS data formats.

Any thoughts on these issues?

Landon

Warning: