[OSGeo-Edu] Getting Started on the Free GIS Book...

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Tue Dec 19 13:02:16 EST 2006

dear Tyler, Landon, all
On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 09:46:07AM -0800, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> >[3] What license will we use to release the material of book? I was
> >thinking about the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share
> >Alike 2.5 License. You can find details about the license here:
> >http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/25/
> I'd have to dig up the archives to see if we agreed on something
> around this.  We talked a fair bit about Charlie's own curriculum and
> how/why it could be licensed certain ways.  From my angle, one thing
> to keep in mind is that any 'non-commercial' clause can actually kill
> some good use of the material.

NC doesn't rule out commercial use of the material though, just *under
the terms of this license*. You could still have a "dual licensing"
type model like MySQL's: http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/faq.html

Having said this, if this were a democracy I would be in favour of
removing a commercial reuse restriction. If a publishing company wants
to print a tree edition of this text - isn't that a success? Would a
print-on-demand edition through an outfit like lulu.com be an option
for OSGeo to print this and make a small profit for the Foundation?

http://blog.okfn.org/2006/04/24/removing-the-nc/ is a writeup by Rufus
Pollock of the Open Knowledge Foundation about the problems NC clauses
can cause. FWIW OpenStreetmap has no NC clause for its data. It *is*
ShareAlike though and that can be a good option - if commercial
publishers make improvements they have to be released under the same
license terms...

> For example, I worked with one or two
> others a couple years ago to produce a data access manual for
> MapServer, for a workshop we were running.  I included this as an
> appendix in my Web Mapping Illustrated book, because it was a very
> good reference for the audience in the book.  Re-writing material
> that I'd already contributed to didn't make sense and the other
> authors had no problems with it.  Was that commercial use?

Yes, "it's commercial when money changes hands".

cheers,

jo