[OSGeo-Edu] Edu committee calendar

Puneet Kishor punkish at eidesis.org
Fri May 12 00:42:59 EDT 2006

I have summarize the emails quoted below to make sense of the thread.
Here is the summary (cc-ed to Danier Brookshier, so he may comment where
appropriate, and provide his insight) --

Storing calendar .ics file on the edu SVN website makes sense, but its
users have to be granted a role >= "Project Developer." As I mentioned
earlier, this is a  pain in the derriere because existing users have to
be dropped, and then re-added with the desired roles. I can't figure out
any way of changing the roles of existing users en masse. Besides this
nuisance value, I am not sure of any security implications of doing this.

I have been exploring other options. One option would be to store the
.ics file on some other server with simpler security policy (such as my
own server). Another option would be to use one of the publicly
available calendaring applications.

I have been trying out the Google Calendar for a while, and it works
quite well. In fact, I've noticed at least one other publicly OSGeo
calendar out there. So, I've gone and create an edu calendar on Google.
I have produced its URL below.

http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/6nsplibsdf3vs032rd6osb495c@group.calendar.google.com/public/basic

The only rub is, as far as I can tell, you need a gmail account to be
able to access and edit the calendar. I have done some testing with
other clients, and while I am able to see it in Mozilla calendar, I
can't edit it there. I am assuming everyone nowadays has a gmail
account, but if you don't I will be happy to send you an invitation (I
have a bazillion of them left).

We can discuss this more tomorrow.