[OSGeo-Edu] Free and open source your documentation efforts

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Oct 8 15:43:18 EDT 2006

watry at steam.coaps.fsu.edu wrote:
> Quoting Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>:
> The following meets that criteria - Right??
> Noncommercial. The user may not use this work for commercial purposes.

Gary,

No, I don't think so.  If this condition was applied to a software license
it would make the license not fit the free software definition (ie. it would
not be OSI certifiable).

I concede your right to apply such a condition, but it renders the result
"non-free" by my software derived standards.

I'd add "The user may not use this work for commercial purposes." is a
very broad statement.  You have said it could be used in a course, but
not repackaged for sale.  Well, a conservative business could not comfortable
use such materials in a paid-for training course without a risk of violating
the condition regardless of what your intent or interpretation of the clause
is.

I would say that I think your material is still a great asset, and a great
contribution even with the current license.  I don't want the message here
to be "I don't appreciate what you have done".  That is not my intent (nor
I'm sure Arnulfs).  It's just not completely in line with the foss standards
I would hold out for with software.

Best regards,