[OSGeo-Edu] Is this license ok? if so will switch this week

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 12:31:41 EDT 2006

Hi Gary,

my comment is probably way to late (I was on the road/train..)
but personally I dislike the GFDL since I don't understand it.
The GPL I managed, but I failed in the GFDL.
There are other document licenses such as Creative Commons
which are way easier to understand.

My issue is: if even the author doesn't understand it (say, me),
how to explain it to a potential reader ("user")?

The Debian people had long discussions about it, worth looking
at:

http://lwn.net/Articles/167098/
"The coming Debian GFDL collision"

http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001
"General Resolution: Why the GNU Free Documentation License is not
suitable for Debian main"
etc.

But of course it is up to the author to decide.
Just as a short comment...
Best,
Markus

On 10/10/06, Tyler Mitchell <tylermitchell at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>  From my perspective I think this is a good idea.  Using this
> recognised license is preferred to something custom, its meaning and
> intent are laid out quite well.
>
> Tyler
>

> On 9-Oct-06, at 11:54 AM, Gary Watry wrote:
>
> >               GNU Free Documentation License
> >                 Version 1.2, November 2002
> >

> > Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> >     51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301  USA
> > Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
> > of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.

> > If your document contains nontrivial examples of program code, we
> > recommend releasing these examples in parallel under your choice of
> > free software license, such as the GNU General Public License,
> > to permit their use in free software.
> >
> > --
> > Gary L. Watry
> > GIS Coordinator
> > Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies
> > FSU / COAPS
> > Johnson Building, RM 215
> > 2035 East Paul Dirac Drive
> > Tallahassee, Florida 32306-2840