[OSGeo-Edu] Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] Introdution tutorials

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 27 11:59:21 EST 2007

P Kishor wrote:
> I also believe that uploading should be made available to those who
> many not have the resources to host their own material. However, for
> that, OSGeo has to display a clear stance on what are willing to host,
> mainly with regards to relevance, appropriateness, quality standards,
> and licensing. Either that, or a disclaimer about the hosted contents
> should be provided. There are, however, so many issues with hosting
> content that it really makes me shudder. What if, some third party's
> hosted binary content contains a virus and destroys the user's
> computer? Whose liability is that? In my view, OSGeo should host only
> the content that it produces. By "it" I mean a set of OSGeo members
> collaborating and producing a package in a public process open to all
> for participation, vetted properly, and given an OSGeo quality
> assurance badge.

Puneet,

There are a couple of levels of hosting content.  At the lower level we
are basically just giving the content the same level of vetting we would
to anything we link to, and the link just happens to be to our own server.
The next level might be where it is somehow considered primary OSGeo material
and branded as such.

For now, if you want to take a linking approach there is no compelling
reason to apply a much higher level of vetting to material we might host
on our own servers (presumably on download.osgeo.org).

Note it is the nature of open source that binaries contain contributions
from many parties and it is hard to be absolutely certain nothing bad could
come of it.  I don't see any reason to be especially concerned about this
in the context of educational materials.

Best regards,